Thursday, November 15, 2012

Music in Me


As I was younger, I loved music. Most of the time my taste in music was different from some of my family, although I can relate in some areas. When I was ten years old I took interest in the drums. When I told the drummer at my church that I wanted to play, he almost couldn’t believe me. The church as well as my family were not used to a girl playing the drums. It seemed like it’d be impossible for me to learn because I had no drums to practice on at home. Somehow, I managed to watch every drummer as they played. Soon after I began to play and I loved it. I’ve been playing for four years now and I never want to stop.
My mother and my sister Shayla both play the piano. Shayla who is really close to me was teaching me piano. For a moment, I wasn’t so excited about it. I thought it was too hard and I gave up. Then, artists like Alicia Keys and Mali Music inspired me to continue in playing. I am currently taking lessons and have fell in love with the piano. I love to play classical, R&B and gospel on the keys. I want to continue for as long as I can.
When I was younger, I was very shy and it would be close to impossible to get me to sing in front of a crowd. Then, one day, I managed to get the guts to sing in church in front of everyone. I was really nervous but once I closed my eyes, I felt at home again and began to sing. The church was full of very close family and friends but they never heard me sing before. They were all shocked and really encouraged me to sing more. Now, I am able to sing freely. Yes, I still get nervous but I enjoy the thrill. Music is life.

No comments:

Post a Comment