Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Winston's Diary


The book,”1984” by George Orwell, is analyzed as the author’s prediction of the future. George Orwell uses his literary skills to give details on what he assumes would take place in the year, 1984.The protagonist, Winston writes in a diary his feelings which is against the law. This event in the novel is very important because he is able to finally express himself and get his thoughts out of his mind. In the day that we live in, it’s no big deal to write in a diary but, in the times where it was not legal to express thoughts and feelings, it meant a lot.
First, I feel that writing in that diary, for Winston, was a very courageous step to take. If I were in his shoes I think I would have wanted to write in the diary but, I honestly think I would be too nervous. Having the ability to express one’s opinion is very important because, not everyone is the same and we should all be able to voice our opinions at appropriate times. Sometimes in school, I tend to find myself wanting to say something but knowing that it is not appropriate for that time. So, instead I express myself by writing it down or speaking to my parents about it. Either or, it feels better to get my thoughts out than to hold them in.
To conclude, George Orwell’s, “1984,” was analyzed as the author’s perception how the future of England would be. He precisely described his predictions of the year 1984. The very brave event that took place when Winston wrote in his diary was very significant. This deepened my understanding of the novel because it showed how powerful our freedom of speech and expression really is. If the government had to ban it, it must have been very powerful. This has deepened my understanding of expression as a whole. 1984 was a well-written novel that is very significant in the world.

1 comment: